Happy April 2nd. Most people post their monthly goals on the first, but I was still creating my training plan then. The next 6 weeks are going to be intense. First up is the Newport 10 Miler on April 28th (4 weeks away), then the United Healthcare Half Marathon (Part of the Cox Rhode Races – 6 weeks away), and then the icing on the cake for spring – Reach the Beach (7 weeks away).
While creating my training plan it really dawned on me just how important it is going to be to keep my body healthy and happy, which is what my April goals are all about.
1) 96 oz. of hydration per day. Water, Nuun, decaf tea – anything to keep me well hydrated. And of course, laying off the alcohol. I’ve been doing very well with this since mid-March. I will have a couple of drinks on the weekend but that’s about it now. (118 oz. yesterday!)
2) Make sure I’m eating enough. I read an article the other day about female athletes and dietary needs. It outlined the dangers of high activity levels versus low caloric intake. It was definitely an eye opener, and I honestly don’t think I’m eating enough. I am now tracking my meals with a very specific calorie goal per day that is tailored to my activity level (including at work, at home, and my workouts). I can’t wait to see what the difference is in my energy levels and my muscle tone once I start eating “enough.” I met that goal yesterday without a problem, and felt great!
3) Keep up with #30for60. Last time I ran the #30for60 challenge I wasn’t a very good leader – I didn’t even complete all 60 days. This time I will definitely complete all 60 days – and with the training plan I’ve created so far for April, that will not be a problem!
4) Yoga. Once a week. I went to an all levels yoga class last week for the first time in 2 1/2 months – and boy could I tell I’m out of practice. I used to take a power basic class every Thursday night, but I’m not so sure I could handle that right now. I want to get back to, and beyond, the point I was at last spring before I stopped going regularly.
5) Take up indoor rock climbing. My best friend Jen goes indoor rock climbing regularly. I’ve been once, but I loved it. I even bought a climbing harness with the REI gift card I got for Christmas. Now I have to commit to doing it – I’m sure I can get her to help me see to that.
6) Run at least 75 total miles. That’s about 30% more miles than I ran in March, which is my highest distance month since August. I know as long as I take care of myself (stretching, foam rolling, The Stick…), that I can do this. I just have to be careful.
That’s quite the list of things to do this month! This is all on top of my training schedule which gets really crazy around Mid-April. That’s when I have to start focusing on training for Reach the Beach by doing some crazy stuff like running twice a day!
What are your goals for the month of April?