Now that the warmer months are approaching, I thought I’d take this time to express to you the importance of proper hydration. But first, a little story…
Once upon a time there was a Little Cupcake (we’ll call her LC for short) who drank nothing but soda. And not diet soda, but full blown, straight up, high fructose corn syrup loaded Coke (or Sprite if
I she was going caffeine free). LC had chronic problems with urinary tract infections, headaches, and not feeling well in general, but she couldn’t figure out why. So LC took a trip to her doc. Doc asked LC, “Do you drink water?” LC, befuddled at such a question, told the Doc “No, I do not drink water.” Lo and behold, lack of water consumption was the root of LC’s problems. From that day forward LC drank water all the time, aside from her morning coffee and her lunch time soda. No more UTI’s, no more headaches, no more icky feeling.
I love a happy ending. So, why am I telling you this? Because you need to hydrate. Especially during the summer. Which is quickly approaching (YAY!)
Why do we need to hydrate?
1) The lower a persons percentage of body fat the higher their percentage of body water is. (Source) Okay so, we run, we work out, we lower our body fat and increase our body water. With a higher body water percentage to keep up, you must hydrate.
2) Insufficient hydration fatigues your muscles, reduces your coordination and causes muscle cramps. (Source) Not something you want to experience while running or working out, amiright?
3) Water is the most important nutrient for life and has many important functions including regulating temperature, lubricating joints and transporting nutrients and waste throughout the body. (Source) Without proper hydration you’ll overheat. Transporting waste throughout your body – waste, like lactic acid that builds up during a hard workout or a long run.
Enough science already. Science was never my strong suit. The point is – the weather is getting warmer and we’re all taking our workouts outside. Please make sure you hydrate properly. Signs of dehydration include:
- Dry mouth (Do NOT wait until you are thirsty to hydrate, thirst is a sign that you are already on your way to dehydrating!)
- Dark urine and/or lack of urination
If you experience any of these symptoms, grab your closest water bottle/glass and chug! It is incredibly important in order to avoid situations like LC in the story above.
My tips for staying hydrated:
- Carry a water bottle with you wherever you go. I keep one at work, one in my purse, alright I keep them everywhere. I’m a water bottle hoarder.
- Freshen up your water – add ice, lemon, lime, a splash of fruit juice.
- Try to avoid feeling thirsty, and try to avoid having dark colored urine. Monitor your water intake if you’re not good at drinking it.
- Make it a habit. It took me a long time to get used to drinking water all day long. Now, whenever my water bottle is empty, I immediately refill it and just sip throughout the day. Most days it adds up to over 100 ounces. Yes, I pee a lot, but my body is happy.
With that being said, I am here to kick start your hydration habits! Yup, you guessed it, giveaway #4 has to do with hydration. My favorite way to hydrate pre-run, mid-run (and workout), and post-run.
I keep Nuun everywhere.
I’m never without it. Why Nuun you ask?
(From Nuun’s Website)
- Zero sugar
- Important electrolytes
- Under 8 calories
- Easy to use
Drop a tab in the water, wait 2 minutes for it to dissolve, drink. Easy peasy.
And, I’m here to tell you that one lucky reader will win 2 tubes of Nuun for your own hydration needs!
THIS GIVEAWAY IS NOW CLOSED!
1) Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/runcupcake (Required)
2) Follow Nuun on Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/nuunhydration (Required)
3) Tweet: I know how important it is to stay hydrated, that’s why I want to win @nuunhydration from @runcupcake! http://wp.me/p25oLf-JD (Optional)
The flavors that I’m giving away are two of my favorite flavors – Grape and Strawberry Lemonade.
Leave a comment for each entry.
Giveaway is open until Noon, Friday, May 4th.
Nuun is providing two tubes to one winner.
Open to all US and Canadian residents.
I hope you all had a happy Wednesday. I’m off to bed, final taper run tomorrow morning!